Sunday, April 18, 2010

Two Years, and Counting


Exactly two years ago, I started my first job as an assistant editor. Even before my graduation, I was already hired for the job. I was only given 18  days to enjoy my summer vacation and then, I was off to work.

In between graduation and my first official workday, I received a text message from ABS-CBN, inviting to me take an exam for a writing job. And so, taking into consideration that I might earn big bucks at ABS-CBN, I took the exam and even reached the interview with the department heads. I waited days for their call regarding the final interview, but I have already started with my editing job when they texted so I didn't bother showing up for the interview. I was going to be hired in this HUGE corporation but i opted to purse my editing job. It was a dilemma for me at first, but after thoroughly comparing both jobs, I realized I'd be more fulfilled as an editor because I'm not really a good news writer. Plus, they're not paying more than the salary I'm getting in the first company. Win-win.

I took my vacationing cousin to see the PBB house after the interview.

My job, I must say, isn't as exciting and as fabulous as my batch mates'. Even my boss, seemingly aware of the tediousness of the job, asked me during the final interview if I could stand such a boring stint. Since I am a boring person myself, I immediately responded that I am certain this job is for me.

So what do I do as an editor? Simple. I laze around all day. NOT.


Honestly, I have developed a love-hate relationship with my job. It's both easy and difficult at the same time. Easy, because it's what I like to do. Difficult, because it is draining my intellectual juices.

My workload varies from time to time. But now that classes are resuming, I am facing bundles of manuscripts to edit. It's difficult enough to accomplish bundles of pending manuscripts. But if these manuscripts are nose-bleed-inducing, expect my mood to be all screwed. I am currently working on a Physics manuscript. And since my only encounter with the subject matter was in High School, I'm really having a difficult time doing the job. Not only do I have to make sure the grammar is A-okay; I also have to check the validity of the contents, which surprisingly, are somewhat confusing for a reference book.

Despite the challenging nature of the job, I still think I'm doing good at it and I am committed to be better. That is why I'm going back to school. I really, really, really hope my application gets accepted. As I said in my application letter, "Through this degree, I believe that I will be able to surpass expectations, hone my skills, expand my knowledge, and contribute more to society. Should I be admitted, I trust that this degree will help me be more competent in my job, come up with well-edited textbooks, and therefore be a better steward of learning. This degree will enable me to contribute much to the improvement of the quality of the Filipino youth’s education."

Yes, the letter is that mushy, right? But I really am that dedicated to this job. It's the least I can do for the Philippines. Naks!

I believe education is the only key to lift the employment issues the country has long been experiencing. Although a diploma does not assure every Filipino a well-paying job, still educated ones are on the priority list. My point: I have seen relatives who can't find a decent job because they have not finished their studies. And so, if I can contribute to improving the quality of education in the Philippines by coming up with well-edited books, I'll continue what I've started.

So, cheers! Here's to two years of loving and hating my job! ;)

live.love.learn.LOL
Happid3zz

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you find this blog entry? Feel free to leave your comments and/or questions and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for visiting!