Saturday, August 7, 2010

Bitterness [n]

Bitterness is a word; a noun which means "the state of being disappointed, angry, and unhappy." It's root, bitter, is also a base as the suffix -ness may be attached to it. The suffix -ness is a nominal morpheme because the suffixation resulted to a change in word class--from adjective to noun. Thus, the word bitterness underwent derivational morphology.

I think bitterness is also common to everyone of us, believe it or not; accept it or not. Maybe it's just me, but I think everyone may have reasons to feel bitter. Even the luckiest and happiest person may be bitter. He/she may just not know it.  Like for example, you may be the highest-paid person in the world, but it's lonely at the top, right? Bitterness, for me then, is the outcome of the fact that one cannot have it all.

I am bitter because first: I cannot have it all [LOL], and second: because I'm having difficulties with my English 117 class when in fact, it's an easy subject. It's just confusing because it is too technical. Had I been given enough background on this subject, I might not be kulelat in class. Good thing I share the same sentiment with an MA classmate because she too has no background in English and this fact lowers my bitterness meter to almost half. For now, the only solution to this bitterness is to get better grades in future exercises, and most especially in the midterm exam. And so, I have to burn my eyebrows [magsunog ng kilay, LOL] in order for me to get good grades and get rid of this bitterness in me.

I am bitter because despite my performance, I still don't get to enjoy the corresponding raise to that performance. Apparently, the company where I'm working at would rather reward not-so-great employees  than excelling ones. Oh well.


I am also bitter because the person who stole my cellular phone in the office, during office hours is still at large and is still not reprimanded. The sadder part is, the company doesn't seem to be alarmed of this incident. Sigh.

How about you, are you just [a] plain bitter or [b] not bitter but pretentious? ~Oo, talagang dalawang choices lang. Blog ko to eh ;p

Pretentious, by the way, is a word; an adjective which means "trying to be something that one is not, in order to impress." Its root, pretend [not tend because pretend is a separate lexical item as opposed to pre + tend which does not mean the same], is a verb and is also a base and a potential stem [PRETEND: pretends, pretended, pretending]. Pretentious is an adjective that underwent derivational morphology because the suffixation of -ous resulted to a change in word class. The suffix -ous is an adjective-forming morpheme; it is also a vocalic suffix which caused the softening of the voiced alveolar plosive /d/ to the voiceless post-alveolar fricative /ʃ/ because of the morphological process, assimilation, particularly, lenition. There.

I hope I did pretentious correctly. I had quite a hard time analyzing that simple word. God, what more if our prof gives us difficult words and phrases? Please help me.

There you go. I just reviewed and ranted at the same time in this blog entry. Thank you very much.

 live.love.learn.LOL
Happid3zz★

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you find this blog entry? Feel free to leave your comments and/or questions and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for visiting!