Monday, October 25, 2010

23 years and counting ♥

Dear Juliet,

I was not expecting anything special for this day. I was convinced that I’m too old for birthday surprises. And since we’re broke, that’s enough reason to skip the celebrations this year. But even though there were no celebrations, that shouldn’t stop me from having birthday wishes, right? So my humble wish for my 23rd birthday is contentment, healing, and rebirth—the same thing a good old friend wished for me. I may also wish for an iPad or a DSLR, but nah, I think I could work for those. Besides, stuff that money can’t buy still matter the most, right? ;p

Here’s how my “special” day went. This morning, my mom, as usual, was the first person to talk to me. This time, she wasn’t waking me up for work since it’s a holiday. Very convenient! She was poking me while cheerfully greeting me for my birthday. I paid her no attention and just turned on my side to continue sleeping.

When I had enough sleep and felt the urge to get up and pee, Mama once again greeted me. She gave me a big hug and a kiss, and said, “23 is not too old, anak.” She was preparing something. The vegetables and chicken flakes gave away the obvious—she’s cooking pancit. Ah, for long life.

So after the comfort room, I headed to the computer table right away. I was giddy and excited to see how many have greeted me already. I turned Austin on and freaked out when I saw how disorganized my desktop is. Only after a few seconds did it sink in. My sister deliberately altered my desktop to surprise me. She made a wall paper for me. Sweet! Since we were kids, we have this tradition of making cards and notes for our parents during special occasions. We would post it on the fridge or on their bedroom door. Thanks to technology, that tradition revolutionized as well. Here’s the wall paper Meagan made. Artsy, huh? She’s not really techy, so I’m wondering how she made this—Photoshop or Paint? I'd say PAINT! ;p


Matapos kiligin for a while, I proceeded to check my Facebook. My notifications didn’t disappoint. My wall was flooded with birthday greetings. It’s kinda surprising considering that I’m not really sociable and yet these people remembered me. I guess I have the FB birthday reminder to thank. I was actually only expecting greetings from my really close friends. But hey FB friends, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for taking time to write your well wishes on my wall. Your greetings are very much appreciated. HUGS to all! :) Big hugs also go out to my girl friends who met with me yesterday. I so love the undergarment they bought for me. I love you girls! ♥

Come nighttime, I patiently replied to all the FB wall messages. I thought I had to pay back the effort they exerted in typing “happy birthday” and clicking the “send” button. It somehow broke my heart that I had to call a college crush “kuya” though. :( But hey, at least he greeted me! KILIG! :) Now, should I mention how Madie’s heart broke when her college crush greeted me? Nah, I don’t think so. LOL.

All in all, I was a bummer the whole day. I took the liberty to sleep whenever I can. I watched The Blind Side to make my day a little bit less boring. The movie was really moving. It inspired me to do something good to others. When I already have the resources, I sure will do the same thing as the Tuohys.

COURAGE and HONOR. If there’s one valuable lesson I learned from the movie, that is to hope for courage and try for honor. Michael Oher is right. All of us can be courageous. But the question is, why are we being brave? Are we defying the odds for everybody’s benefit? or just for our own good? Are we stepping up to help others? or are we stepping on others to be able to go up?

For my 23rd birthday, I found inspiration from Michael Oher. Because of him, I became firmer on keeping my moral compass straight and on being contented with what I have. From here on, I’ll try to always strive for honor. And so, I’m leaving you this text which happens to be my favorite from the movie.
“Courage is a hard thing to figure. You can have courage based on a dumb idea or a mistake, but you’re not supposed to question adults, or your coach, or your teacher because they make the rules. Maybe they know best but maybe they don’t. It all depends on who you are, where you come from. Didn’t at least one of the six hundred guys think about giving up and joining with the other side? I mean, Valley of Death, that’s pretty salty stuff. That’s why courage is tricky. Should you always do what others tell you to do? Sometimes you might not even know why you’re doing something. I mean, any fool can have courage. But honor, that’s the real reason you either do something or you don’t. It’s who you are and maybe who you want to be. If you die trying for something important then you have both honor and courage and that’s pretty good.”
 Hoping, waiting, believing.
★Happidezz

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you find this blog entry? Feel free to leave your comments and/or questions and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for visiting!