Tuesday, February 22, 2011

iL♥VE Diversity

Dear Juliet,

I like how people are unique, having their own traits, beliefs, and attitudes. What I dislike, however, is when people start to impose on me what they believe in.

For example, a gay guy once criticized my plain clothing when we were in a rather high-end place. As he and his companion were wearing Lacoste stuff at the time, he blatantly told me to wear something more sosyal next time. WTH?! Can't I wear cheap clothes I am comfortable with, and which I think are presentable enough?

When I encounter someone who's overdressed somewhere, I don't say, "please wear the appropriate clothes next time, because you are an eyesore." Or when I encounter someone ugly at a posh event, I don't say, "please leave the premises because your face does not belong here." Or when a supposedly straight boyfriend acts so effeminately in front of me, I don't say, "you're like a bading na naubusan ng booking sa sobrang pagiinarte mo." No, I don't do that because I respect other people and because I am very sensitive of the feelings of others. 

So whether one wears Bench or Divi clothes or branded ones, please don't give a damn, because brands are just brands. People who see others through the brand they wear are shallow and superficial. Come on, I bet St. Peter won't ask "authentic" Lacoste or Burberry or Chanel or Louis Vuitton receipts from us before he lets us enter heaven. Instead, his question would probably be, "Were you a good person when you were still living?"

Another example would be my mom insisting that I pray with her or go to mass with her. Mama is a devout Catholic. I am a Catholic too, but I'm kind of a nonpracticing one. I don't hear mass regularly. I don't enjoy praying the rosary. But that does not mean that I don't believe in God; that does not mean that I don't pray to Him. In fact, God was my anchor during the most turbulent phase of my life. I talked to Him a lot during those times. I asked for His guidance in every decision I was going to make. I asked strength from Him.

I may not pray the rosary every day or go to mass regularly, but my faith in God is intact. I have my own beliefs, and I don't have to prove them by showing others that I go to church or that I bring with me a rosary wherever I go. I think God is more concerned with how we treat others and how we live our lives, rather than the number of times we pray the rosary or go to mass in a day or in a week.

My last example would be this: I don't have a problem with gay lingo, so people who are too much affected by the language should not hinder people who are fascinated with the language from using it. I am not gay, but I use terms as ateh, char, charos, eklavu, etc. I use them because they are interesting; they add color and fun to conversations; they are my fillers in times of language incompetence; and they simply are the "in" things nowadays. People who hate the language should not make people who use it feel that they are less of persons. Come on. All of us have the freedom to speak however we like to. It's our prerogative whether we'd be influenced by gay people or not, but nobody is in the position to say that gay lingo has no value, because all socio-economic and political factors aside, all languages are equal in nature. So no one should say, "Sana wala ng madamay na mga babae sa mga kalokohan nila. Tama na yung sila-sila na lang."

Of course, I did not argue with the guy. I'm not good at arguing. I just explained to him that like the Bisaya and the Bicolano, gays also have their linguistic identity and freedom. I too have my linguistic preferences. Then, I let the discussion rest.

Well, this is just from a linguistic student's point of view. I just think the gay lingo is creative, fun to use, and definitely not a kalokohan. The same is true with the Jejemons' language. However, I'm kind of appalled by the grammatical deviations of the Jejemons, so yeah, I'm partial with the gays. Gays rock! ♥ Gay guys suck, though. And by gay guys, I mean straight guys who act overly gay. Haha.

Okay, I have to admit that I also laugh at people whom I think are jologs and ugly. I also laugh at people who carry around fake designer bags and brag about it every time. But I try my best not to belittle them and make them feel like crap. This is the reason why I hate the gay guy in Example 1 who made me feel that I am poor and fashionably insignificant just because I am not extravagantly dressed. This is why I hate it when my Mom tells me that I'm a heretic whenever I refuse to go to mass with her. And this is why I hate a guy friend for strongly telling me to stop calling him "ateh" just because he thinks gay lingo sucks.

We are all different. I understand that we have different takes on different matters, but in one way or another, someone out there accepts you for who you are--no questions asked. Is it too much to accept another for what he/she is? After all, pare-pareho lang tayong may mga kapintasan at kagalingan. Bakit di na lang natin tanggapin yun at huwag na magbigay ng kung anu-anong komentong nagpapataas lang naman ng ego natin. 

Bakit nga ba natin sinasabing baduy ang isang taong nagsusuot ng mumurahin at makalumang mga damit? Hindi ba dahil gusto rin natin ipaalam sa mundo na tayo ang makabago, mayaman, at fashionable?

Really, I salute people who do not look at the superficial qualities of people. Di ako nagmamalinis dahil isa rin ako sa mga mapagmataas at mapamintas. Pero ang point ko, may mga dapat tayong kalugaran. At hopefully, sana--isang malaking SANA--nasa tamang lugar ako. If not, I'll try to get there as soon as possible.

Hoping, waiting, believing.
★ Happidezz

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you find this blog entry? Feel free to leave your comments and/or questions and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for visiting!