Thursday, November 17, 2011

On Compliments

Dear Juliet,

I wasn't very good in receiving compliments before. In fact, I used to become uncomfortable when people compliment me and give me too much attention. Only recently did I learn to quit the pagpapakipot, "Naku, hindi naman masyado" and simply say "Thank you" when given compliments. Now, I've realized how much fun it is to bask in the pool of attention.

But it's a different story when the compliments given to you are out of hand. Take these for example.

1. The creepy compliment.
At the gym, my friends and I are fond of calling one another "sexy" because that's how we motivate one another. Once, this known manyak instructor came up to me and whispered close to my ears, "Ang sexy mo na ah." That was really creepy in a rapist kind of way. I felt his breath in my ears. Creepy. And disgusting too.

I don't know why, but there are people who are experts in giving creepy compliments. You know, people who, no matter how wholesome the conversation is, manage to slip manyak remarks.

2. The jologs compliment.
I know I'm not the most beautiful girl. I'm not the sexiest girl either. But I really, really hate it when guys on the street (mga tambay, manginginom, rugby boy, mekaniko, driver, kundoktor, guards, etc.) express their compliments in the most jologs manner (sipol, the creepy stare, "psst," "hi miss," "sexy," etc.) It's irritating. I feel disrespected whenever I get those. Sometimes, it's also really scary especially at night to encounter such kinds of compliments.

3. The insincere compliment.
I don't really need to be bribed with compliments just so I'd do a task for a particular person. What's more upsetting is the fact that a person is only complimenting me because he/she needs something. Labas sa ilong, much?

4. The awkward compliment.
I've had a lot of these. Like for example, we were swimming one chilli night in Boracay. We were having fun when a drunk workmate approached and said to me just out of the blue: "I like you eh. Sorry ha? But I like you." It's awkward, because, well. He was drunk. He's a lot older than I am, and married. I didn't see it coming. He's not my type. He's definitely not my type--maybe that makes it awkward.

Another example is one from a gym mate. He offered to give me a ride home after a night of drinking. He started asking if I had a boyfriend. When I said I had none, he started saying, "Bakit wala? Kung ako lang, binata, naku! Ano ba naman yang mga binatang yan! Eh ang ganda mo kaya? Pero alam mo, mas maganda ka pag nakapusod, mas neat." Okay, that's coming from a 50-year-old family man. Though I like him because he's really kind and harmless, how does one react to that, really? I heard crickets after he uttered those words. LoL!

5. The overly sincere compliment.
I don't like receiving these kinds of compliments. These usually are from suitors. You know those mushy, serious compliments? I'm not comfortable with those, especially when I am not interested with the person giving it to me. Aside from the discomfort, I also have to think of a nice way to turn down the guy. So there's no "win" for me in such situations.

Why am I complaining? After all, compliments are compliments, no matter how off they are delivered. Sus, wag ka na ngang maarte, Dez!

Hoping, waiting, believing.
★ Happidezz

2 comments:

  1. haha e maarte ka pala e lol.

    seriously, the manyak gym instructor is scary nga teh!at yung 50years old na gym buddy mo din at yung officemate mong married na din. ikaw na ang querida material char ;p

    well, siguro we can't handle compliments from people because we're in doubt if they mean it or trip lang nila.anyway, compliments are good esp. if you know you really deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shet, oo nga atey! Querida material nga! Kung hindi tagilid ang sexuality, yung mga MARRIED men lang ang nagkaka-interes sa akin! tsk. thanks for pointing that out. now i'm depressed. LoL!

    ReplyDelete

How did you find this blog entry? Feel free to leave your comments and/or questions and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for visiting!